»

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Who Lives in a Pineapple Under the Sea?


Pineapple Piñata


Store bought items have their place. Light bulbs, DVDs, and toilet paper; these are all things
I would never try to make at home. Please, someone stop me if I ever try making my own
toilet paper. But there are other things that are so much better if you make them yourself than if you simply buy them. To me, birthday's are the ultimate do it yourself event. From the cake, to the decorations it is much less expensive and so much more fun to make them yourself. You don't have to be super mom, super crafty or even artistic. Promise.
I love piñatas. I mean what's not to love about smashing something open with a stick and being showered with candy? Store bought Piñatas are expensive and the designs are very limited. But if you make one at home, the possibilities are endless! My best friend's little boy had a Spongebob themed birthday party so I decided to make him a pineapple piñata (fyi: Spongebob lives in a pineapple under the sea). It was a "hit". :)

To make a basic piñata you will need:
A balloon (the color doesn't matter)
A bowl
Flour and water
Newspaper
String/Rope
Paint/Glue/Paper for decorations

Gather your supplies


Tear strips of newspaper into 6-8 inch pieces. Mix together 2 parts water with 1 part flour.



Dip the strips of newspaper into the paste and place cover the balloon in a single layer.

Leave an opening at the top of the balloon. This is where you will fill it with candy. Hang it up to let it dry.


You will repeat this process 3-4 times depending on how strong you want your piñata to be. I usually use 4 layers. If you are going to paint your piñata, you will want to use a neutral or white paper for your final layer. This will make paint coverage easier.


When your final layer has dried, you can begin decorating or painting your piñata. I used a coat of yellow paint. Hang to dry.


Continue to decorate. Poke a hole in both sides of the piñata. Run a string or rope through the holes. This is how you will hang it.

I used green construction paper for leaves.



When your pinata is painted, fill it with candy and strips of tissue paper for extra fun when it breaks open.

Stuff more tissue paper in the top to hold the candy inside.


Add any final touches and you are ready to Partaaay!




Happy Birthday Jackson! 

2 comments:

  1. Looks great! Love the idea. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the step by step instructions! I plan on making this with my 5 year old this week for her Luau themed birthday party! What fun!

    ReplyDelete